Broken wrist after falling, no broken facial bones, flashes in eye, vision exam showed beginning of cataract

On May 2, 2012 I fell on the interlocking XXXXXXX driveway, broke my (L) wrist, a nose pad of my glasses was found in my forehead just above the (L) browline . I had a scan which was normal, no broken facial bones. On discharge from the ER I was told I may experience some consequences a few months after the fall. About a half hour ago, I started having flashes in my (L) eye when moving my head to the left I see it in the left corner of the L eye, and when moving my head to the right I see the flashes in front of my left eye. I'm 68 and myopic, my last routine vision exam showed the beginning of a cataract.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 2 hours later

The common causes of flashes are posterior vitreous detachment and retinal detachment.Among these posterior vitreous detachment is not of much consequence.But retinal detachment can cause irreversible visual loss.Since you are a myope, you are more prone to both.

Your symptoms are not related to the accident you had, but have occured spontaneously.You should get your eyes checked immediately by a competent ophthalmologist.Your condition qualifies as an emergency.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for furthur queries if you have any.

Best Regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah
Follow-up: Broken wrist after falling, no broken facial bones, flashes in eye, vision exam showed beginning of cataract 19 hours later
Thank you Dr. Shah, I will be seeing the ophthalmologist shortly. XXXXXXX Mekis
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later

Glad to help you. If you need any further assistance, do write to me on this link:
Wish you good health

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah