Broken the little toe and one next to it, keeps swelling. Have Peripheral Neuropathy. Can I tape it up myself ?

Hi, I think I just dislocated and maybe broken my little toe and the one next to it. It is sort of out of position and keeps swelling up. I also have Peripheral Neuropathy (Not related to diabetes though) so I do not feel anything. Is this something I should see a dr. for or can I try to straighten it myself and tape it up? If I can tape it up myself, how long should the tape stay on?
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query
Fractures of the lesser toes are four times as common as fractures of the first toe. Most toe fractures are nondisplaced or minimally displaced.

Although referral rarely is required for patients with fractures of the lesser toes, referral is recommended for patients with  fracture-dislocations,displaced intra-articular fractures, and fractures that are difficult to reduce.

You are absolutely right that buddy taping can be done by you,but you must consult a doctor and get the required x-rays done and evaluate your problem.
Once it is found that the fracture is minimally displaced and intrarticular surface is spared,you can go for buddy taping for three weeks.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.