Broken right humerus. Will I be able to do exercises in future?

Question
i broke my right humures the second time.will i be able to bench press 380 lbs or 170 kgs in ther future. misalignment is about 20 degrees.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 23 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
First of all I would like to know the following:

1. Is site of fracture same as first time in right humerus?

2. Are you sure that it was united completely when it fractured first time?

3. What is your profession & what was the mode of injury each time?

4. The malalignment you have mentioned was after first fracture is either varus or vulgus ?. And what about the rotational malalignment?

Now the answer of your question:
1. If you opt for the surgical treatment i.e. by nailng or plating after correcting the malalignment, and you obtain sound & solid union, You will definitely be able to bench press 170 Kg in near future after a good amount of practice.

2. If the secnd fracture is pathological then it may be dificult to even obtain a good union and in that case you would have to be investigated throughly to find out the cause, and even if you obtain a union you have to leave bench press.

3. lastly if you do not opt for surgical option than, because of malalignment, it may not be possible to bench press heavy weight but you can go for lighter weight

If you have any other queries on this write back to me. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Disclaimer: The information on this email and portal is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified healthcare provider as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Nothing on this email and website should be used for treating or diagnosing a medical or health condition. This is not a replacement for Doctor - patient relationship and physical examination by other qualified healthcare provider.

Follow-up: Broken right humerus. Will I be able to do exercises in future? 2 hours later
1 .On the X-ray the new fracture appears slightly above the callous.
2. Both times I got injury while armwrestling. The first time it healed with proximally the same deviation,I just could not tell what direction.I oped out of a surgery the first time because I was told that I be fine. And indeed I was ables to bench press 175 kg without any trouble.
3. It had passed almost 4 yrs before the 2nd injury occurred.
My biggest concern is deviation. After the first time I was doing fine in every sense.Will I be able to work out the same way after I heal ? I don’t think that I have any bone pathology.

Thank You, Dr XXXXXXX Mazumdar

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the reply.

If the malalignment is more than 20 degree then you may not be able to do a benchpress. The malaligment leads to malunion reducing the exercise capacity and also increases the chances of further injury.

In such a case, revision is required with a surgery. Open Reduction and Internal Fixation is the choice.

Hope it helps.