Ask a Urologist   »  

Broken blood vessel during sex causing bleeding. Later blood during arousal. Cause and cure?

Broken blood vessel while having sex fllls bladder with blood during sex and then stops can go 4 minutes and blood will never show up any more than that blood shows up only happen on arousel doctor put me on finastride to shrink prostate 3 months a go but blood is still here he will do mri and contrast with XXXXXXX will he find broken vessels he ask if I could cause bleeding that morning before mri the day this vessel broke it was rough sex can it be burn shut with surgery what's your take he's says this is the first time he's seen this not sure what to do I'm reall worried
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 25 hours later
If your bleeding is due to a ruptured blood vessel involving the prostate, Finasteride might help in reducing the congestion.
However, it needs to be taken on a fairly long term basis for it to show positive effects. On the other hand, if you are bleeding every time you are aroused, we cannot wait till the medicine takes effect, which can take up to and over 6 months.
MRI is not a bad idea, as it will show any disease involving the prostate and seminal vesicles, which can be tackled depending on the nature of the finding on the MRI. But you have to realize that there is a significant possibility of the MRI also turning out to be normal, in which a problem in the urethra also should be suspected.
This urethra is the passage which conducts urine and semen to the exterior, and any inflamed vessel could also be causing the problem you are facing. This can be ascertained by means of a test called retrograde urethrogram which might show up a more obvious lesion. On the other hand, it will almost certainly miss the more subtle ones, in which case further tests like angiogram / venogram of the pelvic vasculature might be required. The last step should be a cystoscopy and urethroscopy which should be able to tell us where the bleeding is coming from, and also provide us with an opportunity to treat the matter in the same sitting.
As your urologist seems have pointed out, we are handicapped by the fact that this is a very unusual picture, and therefore treatment cannot be guided only by one's own experience which is likely to be very limited.
Hope I have been able to help you.