Broke tibia, fibia and ankle bone, had multiple knee injuries. Information on leg shortening surgeries? Healing time quicker?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm a 32 year old male. I broke my tibia, fibia, and ankle bone at the growth plates when I was 16. I have a leg length discrepancy. In my longer leg I have experienced multiple knee injuries and have Orthotics have not worked for me. I'm 6'0 tall and would like information on specialists involved with leg shortening surgeries. I'm fully grown and would prefer this surgery over leg lengthening of the shorter leg. I have read that healing time is much quicker with a leg shortening procedure. I'm located in San XXXXXXX CA but willing to travel. Thanks so much.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
In leg length discrepancy, shortening of femur is preferred over shortening of tibia.
Subtrochanteric and supracondylar osteotomies fixed with a blade-plate can be used to correct associated deformity. Mid-shaft shortening can be performed by a closed or open method.
Open surgeries are always preferred over the closed surgeries for limb length correction.
You are correct in stating that limb shortening is preferable to lengthening because it is quicker and simpler, produces less severe complications, allows faster mobilisation, shorter hospitalisation, and lower costs.
The procedure needed in your case can be decided upon after a thorough clinical examination and X-rays.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.