Broke pelvis, was not repaired and gives constant pain. Had Oramorph, tramdol and co-dydramol. Now on buprenorphine. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my husband broke his pelvis in five places on the right hand side nearly nine years ago and it was unable to be repaired due to being on a life support machine, it has heeled all twisted and gives him constant pain which we can't get under control. In the past he has had oramorph, tramadol, buspirone, and co-dydramol. He is now on buprenorphine patches 2x20mg a week and pregabalin but nothing is working he is in chronic pain day in day out PLEASE can you help him as he tries to be an active person
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consider 2nd opinion from another surgeon.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your question to us.

I would like to know more information about his pain:

Is it in the hip or back and does it radiates down his leg?

How far can he walk?

Does he have pain while in bed or sitting?

Does he have numbness or tingling in his legs?

Have you considered 2nd opinion from another surgeon recently regarding possible surgery.

Do you have any x-ray or scan to upload. If Yes please do along with the answers.

sorry I gave many questions for you, I want to know as much as possible to try and help you hence I request you to write back to me with the answers.

If you do not want to consider surgery then ask your GP to refer him to pain management clinic.

Awaiting your response.

Kind regards.
Follow-up: Broke pelvis, was not repaired and gives constant pain. Had Oramorph, tramdol and co-dydramol. Now on buprenorphine. Suggest? 35 minutes later
pain is in the hip occasionaly runs down the leg,he can't walk far at all and uses a walking stick or wheelchair, the pain is constant no matter what he is doing lying,sitting,standing or walking, no he doesn't have numdness or tingling. we are trying to avoid surgery for as long as possible, unfortunately we don't have an xray and what do the pain management team do
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will recommend surgery

Detailed Answer:
So it is the hip that causing all the troubles,

Your husband is 42 years old and using wheelchair that is an indication for surgery.

If good life quality without pain before the need to revise the hip. I have seen some hips (old material ) lasting about 20 years.

Uncemented ceramic on ceramic hip replacement is the best for his age.

If your local hip surgeon is reluctant to operate on him you can always ask your GP for 2nd opinion and then decide.

The pain management clinic can help by improving pain control by different methods not only tablets, but they will not make him fully active again.

best wishes