Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve reaction. What can be done?

My neurologist is weening me of elavil to see if it will help with my feet. I am having very cold feet. Not to touch but internally . It happens when I sit down or lye down. Going on since October 2012. I am 61, fell last July and broke my rt. distal fibula. Had 7 screws and plate. As soon as I was able to walk without crutches both of my feet started freezing. he agrees I'm having a sensory nerve reaction, been on elavil since 1996.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 42 minutes later

Yes peripheral nerve reaction (sensory nerve) is possible considering your long Elavil usage. In addition to weaning off Elavil, I would also suggest that you take appropriate vitamins (Vitamin B12) to address the issues.

Besides that, I feel it would also be better that you get your peripheral blood circulation assessed. This can be done by simply feeling the pulsations in your peripheral arteries (anterior tibial, posterior tibial and dorsalis pedis arteries); or by a colour Doppler study of lower limb. Discuss with your neurologist during your next visit.

Hope I could be of some help. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj