Ask a Urologist   »  

Broke frenelum during sex. Feeling sharp pain when touched. Can I apply Neosporin?

Excellent

Question
Hi, i broke my frenelum during sex, its been 2 days, i have been keeping it clean and washing after every pee. I still feel a sharp pain when it touches something or removing clothes. Is there something else i should do? Is Neosporin ok to apply there?
Many thanks.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It will take 7 to 14 days for complete healing though it should start to feel slightly better by day 5 to 7.
The area is highly vascular and because of this good blood supply there is usually no problem with healing.

In addition to what you are currently doing (keeping the area clean) , you can consider using mild soaps or anti bacterial washes if you normally use harsher soaps. The neosporin would be helpful and you can apply it.
This can be applied at least twice a day.

You would need to refrain from sexual activity for at least 2 weeks.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Broke frenelum during sex. Feeling sharp pain when touched. Can I apply Neosporin? 10 minutes later
Many thanks for your answer.
Also, i just wanted to know if i should get circumcised, or will i have any problems or bleeding again later in case it might tear again. From what i see, the connecting tissue is gone completely, and i don't have pain now, so after healing completely, will we have any problems with performing normally?
Thanks again
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
HI, you can consider circumcision, it would prevent any further recurrence.

After it is healed completely, there are no changes in sexual performance.
You and your partner may want to ensure adequate lubrication to reduce friction and the this would reduce the chance of a repeat tear (if you do not have circumcision done)

Please feel free to ask any other questions