Broke foot. Unwrapped the temporary soft cast and found fracture blisters. Treating with Silver sulfadiazine. What to do for quick healing?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I broke my foot last week (10 days ago). When we unwrapped the temporary soft cast on day 5, we found fracture blisters. Dr. popped the blisters (I insisted) and we are treating the area w/ Silver sulfadiazine and cleaning & changing the dressing daily. I am on day 10 today. I can send an x-ray. Should I be wiggling my toes to increase blood flow or keep them still? What are the things I can do to speed healing and make sure that I have as much flexibility in my foot as possible? I enjoy yoga. I like to travel and walking a lot is usually involved.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 48 minutes later

I have gone through the xray attached. Xray shows fracture of heal bone(calcaneum). Swelling and blisters are common for this fracture.

Continue cleaning and changing the dressing daily. You should move your toes to increase the blood flow . Elevate your limb to reduce the swelling. Give proper immobilization to your ankle and foot to speed healing process. After 3-4 weeks of immobilization , you will need range of motion exercises to regain flexibility of your foot.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any further query.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Warm regards.

Dr Saurabh XXXXXXX
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Follow-up: Broke foot. Unwrapped the temporary soft cast and found fracture blisters. Treating with Silver sulfadiazine. What to do for quick healing? 57 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX

Should I be concerned about the area right in the center of the x-ray? In that area are there other breaks or misalignments that will require surgery to repair? Is the Talus broken or the area between the Talus and the Calcaneus misaligned? Is the Fibula OK? I was on a cruise when this happened and the ship's infirmary took this x-ray.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Do not worry; your fracture can be managed conservatively. There are no other breaks or misalignments in that area that require surgery.
Talus is not broken and there is no misalignment between talus and calcaneum. Fibula is ok.

Hope this will helps you.