Broke femur after hip replacement surgery. Having pain and weakness in buttock. Is this normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
On May 8 this year I had hip replacement surgery. Ten days after operation I broke my femur I didn't fall but just stood up from chair. I had another operation to rectify this on XXXXXXX 26th. Since I have been making progress I have a pain in my buttock on the same side as the hip replacement and rectify op. This is uncomfortable when I sit for a period of time and also walking. I have arthritus in my left knee which is painful could this be affecting my left hip. Or is this normal with the amount of major surgery I have had this year.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

This pain & weakness in your buttock is due to these major surgeries :-

Explanation for this, is that you had two surgeries at your hip & thigh within 20 days duration. During operation trauma occurs to muscle around hip & thigh so they became weak. They may regain the strength depending on large number of factors. Physiotherapy is crucial.

So, you have to do physiotherapy to regain the strength of muscle around the joint. You should post the question about specific exercises to the rehab expert.

Hope I have answered your query.