Bright white traces outside edge of vision. Vision moving in wavy paths. Slightly light headed. Is it very serious?

This morning I had and episode where I had bright white tracers in my vision from the outside edge of my vision moving in wavy paths toward the middle of my vision without actually reaching the middle of my field of view which lasted for approximately a minute and a half. They stopped as suddenly as they started, then an hour later it happened again for about 10-15 seconds. About another hour later it started again, only this time in addition to seing the white spots I was slightly light headed, both syptoms stopped after 10-15 seconds. After three more episodes similar in duration the mild light headedness has remainded but the visual symptoms have abated. I do not have a headache and I had eaten breakfast about 45 min before the first incident. I have a call in to my practitioner and have been waiting for a call back for a couple of hours now. Any advise on if this is something serious requiring me to go to an ER or just wait for the medical provider to call me back?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...These momentry white spots or flashes are called as floaters.
Detailed answer...
These small specks which move in your vision momentarily are called as floaters.
These floaters are actually tiny clumps of cells in the vitreous fluid which is a jelly like structure present in the back chamber of the eye.
Since this is recent occurrence,it requires evaluation by a opthalmologist.
These floaters generally occur due to shrinking of vitreous gel which may sometime cause retinal detachment.
These floaters are generally harmless and are due to shrinkage or thickening of vitreous gel and may go of their own gradually but it requires a proper examination so as to look for any early sign of retinal detachment.
It is not that an emergency where you need to go to ER immediately but you do require to visit your doctor earliest.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.