Bright red blood after bowel movement. Cause for concern?

Sometimes when I have a bowel movement I wipe and get bright red blood. Tonight there was a small amount of bright red blood swirling in the water. Should I be worried?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 35 minutes later

Bright red blood after wiping is an indication of Rectal issues as Hemarrhoids,fissures or a colon disorder as colitis,polyps and rarely carcinoma.

Hemorrhoids and fissures are mainly caused due to lack of fibre in diet and passage of hard stools often.So dietary modification and lifestyle changes help a lot in improving these issues.

At this moment you require a Rectal examination which is utmost important in this case and then after evaluation Physician would decide regarding further investigations as Colonscopy/Sigmoidscopy/Anoscopy which will help in the diagnosis.

Consider visiting a Physician earliest for evaluation and appropriate treatment.

1)Avoid straining during bowel movements.

2)Include fibre in diet as oats,cereals,pulses XXXXXXX etc.

3)Avoid smoking and alcohol.

4)Drink lots of water.

5)Go for a walk daily at least for half an hour.

Hope this information is adequate.I will be available for follow up if there is any doubt.