Ask a Dentist   »  

Bridge removed due to pain in anchor tooth. Tooth not responding to any test. Required treatment?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hello, thank you. Anchor tooth to a bridge began hurting, removed bridge, it had some decay which was removed..calcified sending me to an Endo, not sensitive to any test. Is it feasible the tooth did its own root canal. Bridge on for 30 yrs...real surprise, since decay removed, temp on no pain whatsoever..
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 5 hours later

First of all, a tooth does not do its own root canal. Calcification can happen on long standing carious teeth as a preventive method of tooth. If the tooth does not respond to any test then it is mostly dead and therefore requires root canal treatment by an endodontist as suggested by your dentist.
Even if there is no pain now, it is imperative that a root canal be done as a dead tooth may cause infection later due to the presence of dead pulp tissue which needs to be removed.

I would strongly suggest that you undergo the rootcanal treatment before getting the bridge placed again.
Hope this answers your query.
Follow-up: Bridge removed due to pain in anchor tooth. Tooth not responding to any test. Required treatment? 13 hours later
Thank you Doctor...since it is an anchor tooth to a bridge it frightens me that a root canal will inflame or activate something not present previously. Thirty years is a long time and just recently started to be sensitive, and after decay removed no longer sensitive. I'm tempted to have new bridge installed....Is this feasible at all or are the odds worse in your opinion? Thank you for your response. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 10 hours later

As you mentioned earlier that the tooth does not respond to any tests, that is what concers me. A dead tooth may give pain later therefore a root canal is recommended. The rootcanal does not weeken the tooth and according to various studies acts as a good anchor for a bridge for many years to come.
The bridge may be cemented without the rootcanal and pose no problems but that is a risk which you will be taking.
I strongly feel that you should go ahead with the rootcanal and not worry at all as it is a very basic treatment.