Breathlessness while riding. Had undergone surgery for heart block, arrhythmia, had a pace maker put in. Taking metoprolol for blood pressure. What could be the cause?

I have had a pace-maker put in 6 months ago ,I returned back to work a month later from surgery (heartblock&
arrhythmia ,and passed out twice,low heart rate 18 bpm) 1month after pace-maker was put in i went back
to work. I was given 50mg of metoprolol for blood pressure.Now every thing seems fine except when i go
bike riding i feel really weak under my arms and calves and out of breath, as soon as i stop the weakness
goes away.It is the same when i work around the house. my heart seems to beat hard in the middle of
mystomach ,I ccan feel heart beats(strong)there.When i walk it isnt as bad or not bad depending how fast.
Im 49 years old and love to get out and bike,my work layed me off because of having to rest periodicly .
Im 145 lbs my avg. blood pressure 113/65. i'm 5-9 .
What is wrong with me? i cant afford to see the cardiologist .
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I understand your concern.

Firstly, I would like to suggest you to take rest for a while. I understand that you love to go out and bike. However, relax a little now. You need rest at the present.

The pacemaker is in for 6 months now. Your symptoms occur only on exertion and not with normal physical activity. This is called dyspnoea to unaccustomed work.

I am glad that you recovered and are back to work now. As of now, you need to take care of the heart. Give it some time to get used to the work that you do.

For now, withhold on biking and working around the house. Your vitals are normal now. You do not have dyspnoea to accustomed work like walking. So, that is great.

Just give it some time, probably 6 more months. Go for regular walks, and not biking now. Eat healthy. After a recheck of your heart after 6 months, you can get back to biking and all the things that you love to do.

Nothing is wrong with you. Your heart is getting used to the pacemaker. You are on the right medication, continue it.

There is no need to visit a cardiologist at this point.

P.S.: Do not over-exert yourself physically.

I hope you understand what I am trying to convey.

I wish you quick recovery. Do write back for more concerns that you may have.