Breathlessness, normal bloodwork, x-ray and pulmonary function test. Arterial blood gases problem?

Hi. I have been having shortness of breath for years. I've had routine bloodwork, a chest X-ray, pulmonary function test, an EKG, and a cardiac stress test. All of these tests had normal results. I was reading about arterial blood gases and was wondering if that could be the problem? Is it likely that I would be hypoxic even though my other tests were normal?
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 48 minutes later

Thanx for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Arterial blood gas is a diagnostic test and not a disease entity. It is a measurement of pressure of blood gases in arterial blood taken out from an artery like femoral in the groin or radial in the wrist. It is used for monitoring critically ill patients and in some respirstory diseases.

Since all relevant tests have been done in your case and all are normal, i`m inclined to think that anxiety is playing a part in the breathlessness you are experiencing for which you may visit a psychiatrist or a counsellor.

Discuss with your doctor or Pulmonologist the possibility of Primary Pulmonary Hypertension, though in my opinion it is unlikely.

You have mentioned that you are a smoker. Early COPD remains a possibility which may not be picked up by various tests that you have undergone. You should quit smoking at the earliest.You may try out certain inhaler medicines like tiova MDI 2 puffs once a day and Seroflo 2 puffs twice a day. Take doxyphyllin400 tablet twice a day. Do some XXXXXXX breathing exercises. If you are overweight, pl work on it and shed the extra weight.

I do hope i`ve been able to answer your query and it is of help.
Follow-up: Breathlessness, normal bloodwork, x-ray and pulmonary function test. Arterial blood gases problem? 6 hours later
Thank you for your response. My cardiologist looked for pulmonary hypertension while I was doing the stress test. What is doxyphyllin? Do I need a prescription or is it over the counter? I was wondering about respiratory acidosis. Could anxiety and the onslaught of hormones interfere with my blood gas exchange?
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 52 minutes later

I`m glad that your cardiologist has already ruled out Pul Hyperyension.

Doxyphyllin is a drug used in COPD and asthma. In India it`s available OTC. You will have to check for United States.

You could`nt be suffering from respiratory acidosis because in that case you would have been much more sick.

Anxiety normally does not interfere with blood gas exchange but can cause psychosomatic symptoms like breathlessness.