Breathlessness, lump in throat, frequent swallowing, enlarged prostate, ED, frequent urination. EKG and x-ray normal

I'm unable to take a XXXXXXX breath. It almost feels like I'm drowning. It started out with a bad case of heartburn. I cut out the fatty foods and that went away. I had it for several weeks. That's when the breathing issues started. Shortness of breath and it feels like there is a lump in my throat that I cannot clear that makes me swallow a lot. I'm not sure if it's related, but my prostate is also enlarged, which is causing ED and frequent urination. Another thing worth mentioning is that I'm sweating much more than usual. Specifically at night. I wake up with damp sheets. I thought I urinated in the night, but it was just sweat! I've never sweat like that before. I had an EKG and chest X-ray today which both came back normal. I also had a procedure where then put a tube in your penis to check your prostate. That was normal other than my prostate was slightly enlarged. I'm getting nowhere quick and need some assistance.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later
From your symptoms three possibilities are coming to my mind. These are:
1)     GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease causing shortness of breath and feeling of lump in the throat.
2)     BPH or benign prostatoc hyperplasia
3)     Hyperthyroidism causing increased sweating

I suggest you to get your thyroid status checked by getting thyroid function tests. For BPH, you should consult a urologist and start with the treatment. You may also need upper GI endoscopy to rule out GERD.
It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.