Breathlessness, light headed and shaky in morning. Taking citalopram for anxiety. Proper treatment?

Dec 2012

morning hellhi. I have a problem in the morning mostly. I wake up and almost as soon as I am awake I am breathless, light headed and shaky. this has been happening for a few weeks now. I have had trouble sleeping and was recently put back onto citalopram for anxiety at 20 mg per day two weeks ago. I have also been given sedative anti histamines. I have also been losing weight and have upper back pain. I am crying a lot for no real reason other than being down about the way I feel.
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Welcome and thanks for posting on HCM

I see from your description that you are still suffering from anxiety disorder and this probably associated to moderate depression. The symptoms you have presented are most likely due to a depressive state including the weight loss and upper back pain. In addition to your medication, i'll suggest that an antidepressant such as amitryptilline and pain killers be included for a couple of weeks and see if any improvements. The present anxiolytic (citalopram) might not be effective again and optimal dosage could be reached or the drug changed completely. Your treating physician should also consider running some blood work to rule out any associated systemic diseases and investigate if you are on any other drugs. There could be a wide range of causes for your affection that will require close investigation. A neuropsychiatrist should also be involved.

Hope this helps and please do write back if you need further info.

Dr Nsah