Breathlessness, headaches, viagra usage. Medicines to control side effects ?

Oncologist
Question
i have breathlesness n heavy headache the next day after i used a viagra of 50 mgim 35 yers of age my weight is around 78 kgs n my height is 6 feet. please advise some medicine for the next day side affects
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

Viagra is an excellent medication which has been in use for a good number of years as well. There are some side effects, however, and I will try to give you some good information and recommendations regarding your query.

The therapeutic action of Viagra causes a dilation in small blood vessels which is what gives it the good therapeutic effect which I am sure you have experienced. Dilation of blood vessels in the area of the brain, however, can create an effect which is similar to a migraine headache. Let me provide you with some suggestions regarding continued safe and healthy use of the Viagra.

First, I recommend to all my patients who use Viagra to limit excessive intake of alcohol either before or after taking it. You did not mention that you consume alcohol but I just wanted to mention this. In addition, it is very very important that you maintain good and adequate hydration when using the Viagra. This will honestly serve to minimize the dizziness and headaches which some people report after taking the Viagra.

I have an additional recommendation for you. The most common therapeutic dose in my younger patients for Viagra is 25 mg. I have patients who even use 12.5 mg with good results. Can I suggest that you cut the tablet in half and see how well it works for you? It may also reduce any side effects such as the headache and breathlessness which you report.

Thank you again for submitting your query. I hope my response has been both adequate and informative. Should you have additional questions, I am available to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga