Breathlessness, edema in limbs, done echocardiogram, family history of CHF

I have severe edema in legs, ankles,feets and,just recently in both arms. Occassional shortness of breath lying flat. Shortness of breath when bending over. I had a normal echocardiogram. I have a lenghty family history of CHF. Does a normal echo rule out CHF?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Your symptoms are highly suggestive of a congestive heart failure. A normal echocardiogram does not rule out congestive heart failure. Echocardiogram is an important investigation to detect early morphological changes in heart and ejection fraction during heart failure. But heart failure is mainly diagnosed based on the symptomatology and is treated accordingly. Your symptoms might happen due to renal problem or lung diseases also. Detailed investigations are needed to find out the cause.
You definitely need to consult your physician for proper diagnosis and treatment.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.