Breathlessness, ear blockage, stuffy nose, lower chest pain. What is wrong?

ENT Specialist
Question
WHATS WRONG WITH MEIm Having shortness of breath. My right ear feels closed and i have a stuffy nose and im having lower left chest pain
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

With this brief history it is very difficult to make a diagnosis. The probable cause could be either rhinitis or sinusitis.

I would like to know few more things before zeroing-in on a particular cause.
1. Since how many days are you suffering from this problem?
2. Do you have any discharge from the nose?
3. Is there fever associated with this?
4. Do you smoke?

The shortness of breath is due to nasal congestion, which reduces the amount of air flow into the nose. Similarly, the congestion in the nasal mucosa (stuffy nose) causes blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear). Following blockage of the Eustachian tube there will be negative pressure created inside the middle ear and trapping of the secretions. The presence of fluid and negative pressure in the middle ear causes ear block.

My advice to you is:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in nasal decongestion and reduction of nasal block.
3. A mucolytic (such as bromhexine or ambroxol) reduces the viscosity of the sinus secretions and thus relieves the sinus pressure and ear block.
4. Avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.

Do not worry! With the above measures you should be alright.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Breathlessness, ear blockage, stuffy nose, lower chest pain. What is wrong? 2 hours later
ive been suffering from this problem starting 1 day ago, there is no discharge from the nose, there is no fever associated with it and no i dont smoke but there has been smoking around me.
Well there are no fevers or nose discharge, it started yesterday, and there are people smoking around me

Hi

Thanks for writing back

I feel you are having early stage of rhinitis, which is probably of viral origin. Do not worry! With the home remedies mentioned in the previous response, it can be taken care of. Try the above measures without mucolytic for a couple of days and revert back to me if you are not feeling better.

I wish you speedy recovery and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon