Breathlessness. Has cardiomyopathy, LBBB with low EF rate. Remedy to improve EF rate & heart rhythm?

My mother has a cardiomyopathy, LBBB with EF of 23%. She has been on medication since past four years, but there has been very little improvement. Her chief complaints are breathlessness. Is there any option to improve the EF rate and the heart pumping with pacemaker or any such devices
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later

Left bundle branch block (LBBB) is a conduction defect of the heart and it results in delayed action of left ventricle (as normally both the ventricles contract together).

The reason for getting this problem can be:-
-Acute myocardial infarction
-Aortic stenosis
-Primary cardiac electrical conduction defect.

The chief complaints will be dyspnoea (breathlessness), cough.     

Since the ejection fraction is reduced the breathlessness will increase in walking, straining for stools and regular activities.

A pace maker is installed in patients who have a syncope associated with LBBB and it helps to improve the rhythm of heart.

But the ejection fraction does not improve easily especially in cases where the reason is due to myocardial infarction or cardiomyopathy.

The reason is there is weakening of the heart muscle that causes reduced ejection fraction.

Some medicines like ACE inhibitors (like Losartan, Lisinopril, Ramipril etc)are said to improve ejection fraction to a certain extent in some cases.

Consult with her Cardiologist and discuss regarding the pacemaker issue and as for ACE inhibitors I guess she may be on one of those medicines.

Hope this answer is helpful to you.

In case of any queries you may write back and I shall help you.

Please accept this answer if you have no further queries.