Breathless, over weight, gastric, bloated, on liquid antacid, lump feeling, choking. Is it stress?

I'm a 40 year old guy. 6 feet tall. 230 pounds.
In the last year I find myself feeling out of breathe. Sometimes just sitting watching TV. It passes sometimes in minutyes but can last for as much as a couple hours. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't use salt, don't eat canned foods. I wish I was thirty pounds lighter.
In the last couple of weeks, I find myself with a feeling of trapped gas, really feeling bloated after eating which at times brings on breathlessness.
I've had my heart checked in emerge during one of these "episodes" and all was fine. i was sent home told to take a liquid antacid.
I have recently in the last couple of weeks felt like I have something stuck in my throat(lump feeling), but that sensation also comes and goes very randomly.
One time recently i had a "choking episode" where I couldn't catch my breathe. Felt like i couldn't swallow or breathe in a normal rhythmn.
I have been a VERY healthy individual my whole life. On no medication or drugs whatsoever.
I recognize that this can be all stress induced.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Suddenly feeling chest tightness, choking and out of breath without any cardiac or lung disorder, with no history of smoking, alcohol or drugs points towards anxiety disorder.

To help this problem you can take a few measures-

1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
3.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
4. Learn controlled breathing.
5. Do simple relaxation exercises like Yoga,etc.

You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help you in choosing a good anti-anxiety drug with low day time sedation.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.