Breathing problem, skin pigmentation lines all over body, swelling in hands & face, stiff hands, had germ cell tumor, surgery, chemo with bleomycin, cisplatin & etoposide. Advise?

Dermatologist
Question
My daughter had a germ cell yolk sac tumor when she was 2 and went through surgery and 4 rounds of chemo. Bleomycin, cisplatin, and etoposide. She is now 15 and has breathing problems and a strange skin condition where she looks like she has indented pigmented lines all over her body. These lines are diagonal, upright, horizontal on her back, legs, hands face. She also has swelling of her hands and face frequently and her hands get very stiff feeling when bending her fingers. i have taken her to the doctors without any real answers. Can you shed some light on this?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 3 hours later

I would be in a better position to answer your query if you could please send a couple of photographs of the affected skin.

Germ cell yolk sac tumor as you have pointed out can be associated with various skin problems. As organogenesis i.e formation of skin, hair, bone etc is compromised at a very early stage here, skin discoloration, pigmentation etc are common.

Waiting for your reply

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Breathing problem, skin pigmentation lines all over body, swelling in hands & face, stiff hands, had germ cell tumor, surgery, chemo with bleomycin, cisplatin & etoposide. Advise? 7 hours later
Thank you for this information. Due to the puberty and come out more in the summer when she is in the sun. I worried about scleroderma due to swelling, these lines, and her stiffness in her hands. Thank you for your time.
XXXXXXX Hornick

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later
Dear Ms XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back and the pictures.

All the pictures sent by you have a common finding - all pigmented lines are hyperpigmented i.e darker then the normal skin and are linear.

It seems that all of them are post inflammatory hyperpigmentation lines caused due to minor trauma like a scratch.

During summers due to excessive sun tanning they become darker and more prominent and hence are easily visible.

You might have noticed that slowly these lines fade away and new ones might come up.

In my view these are not at all related to any other problem.

Wishing your daughter a healthy life.

Dr. Rohit Batra