Breathing from mouth during sleep. What is the underlying cause?

ENT Specialist
What is this in the back of my throat ? I have noticed that at night I have been sleeping with my mouth open could that cause this ?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 6 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your quert.

I have gone through your query and seen the photograph you have attached, regarding your problem of mouth breathing during sleeping.

Considering your complaints and photograph you have attached it is clear that you are suffering from chronic tonsilitis with granlar pharyngitis. Your photograph of throat shows big tonsils on either sides with muliple small bumps in posterior wall of throat. these bumps are enlarge submucus lymph nodes, enlargement of lymph nodes indicates that there might be some infective pathology going on in nasopharynx or in paranasal sinuses.

Your enlarge tonsils are obstructing the airway, but there appears some obstruction in nasopharynx as adenoides or polyp from nose or sinuses or associated sinusitis.

You are advice for these investigations-

(a) Culture and sensitivity of throat swb.

(b) C.T.scan of paranasal sinuses.

After this much thorough examination of throat and nasopharynx & nose and clinical co-relation of inferences of investigations we can reach to final diagnosis about obstructive lesion in airway which may be plan for treatment.