Breathing difficulty with mild fever. History of diabetes, foot amputation, lymphedema. Advice?

Husband running subnormal temp for 3 days (95-96 - normal for him is 97.6) plus occasional breathing issue. Four months ago had left foot amputated due to staph infection in foot bones. He's a diabetic. Very tired recently. Last labs (about a week ago) were normal. While in hospital pre-amputation had fluid in lungs and around heart, plus very high creatinine, due to major uncontrolled lymphedema.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your history, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your husband is a diagnosed case of Diabetes with systemic hypertension with previous history of amputation for charcot foot (with staph infection). Previously at the time of hospitalization for amputation he seemed to have an episode of Congestive cardiac failure.

2. Now he seems to be running low temperature and is breathless since 3 days. The lab reports 7 days back seem to be normal. But since he has these symptoms since 3 days, I suggest you to get him investigated for the same.

3. There is a possibility of fresh infection which if detected needs to be treated aggressively since he is a diabetic. Also his blood sugar needs to be under strict control. You need to monitor his blood sugar levels daily with a glucometer at home.

4. Thus currently you need to get his complete blood count, blood sugar levels (fasting and post meal), Kidney function tests, serum electrolytes, Urine testing for sugar and ketones and his chest Xray done.

5. Please visit your physician and get him investigated and evaluated as mentioned above.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any follow up queries. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Wish your husband a speedy recovery to good health.

Regards and take care.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra