Breathing difficulty, heart palpitations, nasal congestion. History of middle ear problems, eczema, folliculitis on legs. Serious condition?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am a 65 year old woman, just had my heart completely check out and it was all good. I weigh 220 lbs and am 5ft 10 inches tall. Also had my lung checked out and allergies are suspect for some shortness of breath. I take toprol, celexa and alprzolam daily. Question: Last night I suddenly started to hear my heartbeat in my ears. It is still there. One side of my nose is plugged. What would cause this problem. I have had vertigo in the past and a lot of middle ear problems as well as allergies such as some exzema and folliculitis on my legs. I have had ear buildup in the past and had to have it cleared out.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: Breathing difficulty, heart palpitations, nasal congestion. History of middle ear problems, eczema, folliculitis on legs. Serious condition? 8 minutes later
Is this serious enough to see a doctor----long weekend ahead. Blood pressure and cholesterol ok!
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later

The palpitations that you are feeling are most likely resulting from blockage of the eustachian tube (caused by nasal and middle ear congestion)

Rarely toprol ( metoprolol) is known to cause ringing in ears as a side effect but since I assume you have been on this medication long before this recent problem, it's less likely that this is the cause of your symptoms.

In both the cases, a consultation with an ear nose throat (ENT) specialist would confirm the diagnosis. If your blood pressure is normal, you have no other symptoms and have recently got cardiac evaluation, you might wait and watch as at present there is no risk of worsening damage. The situation doesn't seem worrisome at present.

But if you develop any other symptoms like chest pain, acute breathlessness or headache, or weakness or paraesthesias, then please seek prompt consultation.

Also, if the ear problem persists for more than a week or worsens, do consult your doctor for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.