Breathing difficulty due to phlem, chest congestion. Advice on breathing exercises?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi doctor do u have any breathing exercise that I can do, I felt like hard to breathe I can't grasp a whole breathe it was just stuck on the chest then I got lots of phlegm , nose got stuck one side please help , it is hard to get into sleep
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

From the description it seems that you are having a nasal congestion along with a inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot.

Breathing exercises are not likely to produce an instant relief.

Using nasal decongestant drops or steroid sprays can also be helpful.

For proper management of the infection, you need to consult your physician and get the proper antibiotics prescribed.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.