Breastfeeding, ectopic breast tissue, glandular lump in groin, same side as breast lump. Lymph cancer ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 32 female and breastfeeding. I have ectopic breast tissue, with a limp in it. This has been monitored by my doctor for the past year and a half. He said it is glandular and will shrink, but may need to be removed when I am not breastfeeding. Two days ago, I noticed a lump in my groin. It is about the size of a small marble and hard. It only hurts when I push on it, and is located where my leg meets my groin (leg fold, I guess). I am scared it may be lymph cancer, as it is on the same side as the breast lump. I have an appt. next week, but would like some reassurrance in the meantime. By the way, the groin lump is not hot or red, but it also does not look like a pimple with a whitehead. It looks kind like cystic acne. Help!
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 23 minutes later

Have you experienced loss of weight

Any night sweats, cough

Does the swelling near the thigh increase in size on coughing, does it become less prominent on lying down and pushed back with help of finger

Any constipation, burning sensation on passing urine

There is possibility of lymph node enlargement in that area you described. Usually common conditions which cause lymph node enlargement in that region include infection of feet, leg, genital areas.

You may want to look for source of infection by symptoms of pain, or tenderness in any areas mentioned above. This means most of he time inguinal lymph nodes are benign. The other possibility is hernia. You can get it examined by your Doctor to find out what the swelling consists of and also required clinical examination as necessary. No need to worry. Take things step by step in this regard.

When you visit the Doctor, do discuss possibility of benign lymph node and if required a Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) may be performed, which is relatively painless, to help in diagnosis of the content of the lymph node to determine it's origin of enlargement.

Regarding breast lump, get a thorough clinical examination to rule out various pathology. If it is benign like a Fibroadenoma it may be removed surgically. After breast feeding the baby for complete 4-6 months you can plan to wean the baby. After weaning is complete and baby does not need breast milk, you can decide medical or surgical line of management to reduce the breast lump. FNAC can also help in diagnosis of this lump.

Avoid pressing on the swelling if it is painful. Eat healthy. Drink enough water. Do regular exercise everyday. Get 6-8 hours of sleep. Stay stress free by frequent breaks at work and also add Yoga into your regime to help cope better with stress.

Kindly do reply to my questions as soon as possible for a better chance for me to help you out.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Breastfeeding, ectopic breast tissue, glandular lump in groin, same side as breast lump. Lymph cancer ? 4 hours later

No weight loss, night sweats, cough. No constipation, burning urine. It does not get smaller lying down or by pushing on it with my finger. I have no visible infections, and have no stds (been tested). I do have a cold right now, or some sort of virus. I know it is a virus as my kids have the exact same symptoms right now.

My Dr. did an ultrasound of the breast lump. Do you think he needs to do the FNAC of BOTH the breast lump and the groin lump? He mentioned the breast lump was glandular and during one visit said it would shrink after breast feeding, but another earlier visit said I'd need it removed.

Do you think the groin lump could be an ingrown hair? Staph infection? It is in my bikini line where the leg meets the groin. I don't shave that area or anything, so I don't know why it would be irritated. It doesn't look like a large pimple, just a lump under the skin, like a cyst is there.

What are the chances this is a cyst that could be cancerous? If it is just a cyst, will it go away, or need to be removed. I am so worried as I have to small children, and can't help but think the worst. I don't see my doctor for a week....

Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Not to worry. It is probably a benign lymph node enlargement possibly reacting to local infection. Since you do not have weight loss and other symptoms of cancer, it is highly unlikely it is. There are no common cysts to form in that region.

Regarding the breast lump if ultrasound shows glandular tissue then no worries. Just wait for right time to remove the lump.

Anyway, do get a thorough checkup by your Doctor, get an FNAC lymph node if required and then you can get your fears allayed. Eat healthy. Stay stress free. Take care of your health and your family.