Breastfeeding and want to get hair dyed. Is it safe?

Mar 2013
If I am breastfeeding, and want to go into a hair salon to get my hair dyed, how long will it take to get out of my bloodstream fully?
Is it safe?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
There is NO EVIDENCE that using hair colours and hair XXXXXXX while breastfeeding would harm your baby.
Miniscule amounts, if at all, enter the bloodstream.
Please go ahead and enjoy your salon treatment.
Follow-up: Breastfeeding and want to get hair dyed. Is it safe? 6 hours later
The small amount that does go into the bloodstream; how long does it take to be fully excreted? Thank you! :)
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later

The ACOG ( American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology ) clearly states that the amounts that are absorbed are so miniscule that there is no cause for worry.

Less than 0. 2 % is absorbed through the scalp, it is negligible, and takes a few weeks for the liver to metabolize and excrete.