Breastfeeding and have read that chocolate can lead to gas and fussiness in baby. Suggest?

I am breastfeeding my 3 week old, and have read that chocolate cab kead to gas and fussiness in the baby. If I eat chocolate, how long would it take to get out of my system and not affect her? I woyld supplement with formula in the meantime. Thank you!
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do not think this is a sufficient reason to turn to artificial formula for your baby. The main problem with chocolates is caffeine and theobromine. These substances are found in however small quantities in chocolates. Consumption of chocolates and other caffeine containing foods IN LARGE can lead to gas manifestations in the baby for sure.

I suggest you stop or seriously moderate consumption of chocolates. Reduce also the amount of coffee you take, if you do like it and other caffeine containing substances. Drink a lot of water and fluids, its sufficient to reduce concentration of theobromine and caffeine in you. Your baby needs your milk, especially now. YOU DO NOT NEED TO STARVE THE BABY FROM MILK ESPECIALLY NOW WHEN HE NEEDS IT MOST.

For now, you need not bother. Drink much water and fluids. A formula for now is not needed and all shall be well. Hope this helps and be still. Wishing you well and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.