Breastfeeding. Took cocaine. Feeling upset. How long will the effect of the drug be in the body?

I made a huge mistake and did one small line of cocaine last night. I have a seven month old baby and am still breastfeeding but also bottle feeding. How long until the drug will be out of my body? I have pumped 5 times today. I planning on weaning him but he's not fully weaned yet and I feel so upset with myself! I am 5 ft 9 in and 195 pounds. Thank you, please don't think I'm a horrible person.
The line was done at 11pm. And it will NEVER happen again or has it happened before..
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jyoti Patil 7 hours later

I can understand your anxiety.

Cocaine can be secreted in breast milk but, it the level depends on dose taken and it's chronic use. In your case, you admit that it is first time.

Usually, cocaine is detected in breast milk after 12 hours of ingesting and decrease after approximately 36 hours.

I would suggest you to refrain from feeding your baby for next 36-48 hours.

I hope, this information helps. I will be available for follow up queries if any.