Breastfeeding. Started bleeding with severe pain after taking femilon. Worrisome

Mar 2016

Hi, I am married and have a baby of 14 months. After consulting the doctor i started taking the femolin from the second day of my periods and i had 13 tablets so far(till yesterday). I didn't miss a single pill so far,but yesterday night i had severe pain and bleeding started. I am very much worried. Please help me doctor..
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Femilon is a combined (estrogen & progesterone) oral contraceptive pill which is more than 99% effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy.

As you took femilon on regular basis without missed single one, then you have nothing to worry for above said condition. It is probably due to side effect of the pill. Unconditional/ irregular vaginal bleeding with abdominal cramp is quite common thing for the first time pill user associated with hormonal imbalance and it remains for the first few months only. After that, your body is adjusted with the effect of the pill and you may not get this type of bleeding.

In addition, other side effects are nausea,vomiting, weight gain, breast swelling & tenderness, increased appetite, depression, headaches, scanty or missed periods dizziness, change in BP etc.

In case of bleeding more than 7 days, yo need to consult with your gynecologist for suggestive measures. Here, ultrasound scan for lower abdomen & hormone assay are very much useful to rule out underlying pathology if any.

In this scenario, you may take oral hemostatic agents like tranexamic acid to arrest bleeding along with some anti spasmodic medication to get relief from cramp. You should continue your rest OCPs (femilon).

Do the following things for life style modification:

1) Take healthy diet with avoidance of fatty/spicy/ salty food one.
2) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fruits.
4) Control body weight by regular light physical exercise.
5) Maintain genital hygiene properly and need proper sleeping.
6) Wear tight breast support to get relief from breast discomfort.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Please accept my answer if you do not have other query.

Wish your good health in future. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.