Breastfeeding 3 weeks old. Felt pebble like lump on breast. Had clear mammogram and told dense breast tissue. Suggest?

Oncologist, Surgical
My baby is 3 weeks old tomorrow. I am exclusively breast feeding and have an abundant milk supply as with last baby. A couple of days ago I noticed a small (few mm probably) pebble like lump in left breast about 3/4 inch directly above areola. It is more noticeable when let down has just occurred and breasts are firm. I definitely feel varied textures in breast but this little lump is distinct. I have had benign calcifications in right breast but left has never been an issue.

I had clear mammogram last October. I also do Sonocine ultrasounds with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX whoc developed the technology and had a totally normal one at the end of XXXXXXX I remember him saying that he saw duct activity in left breast indicative of milk development, but clearly benign. He said my breast tissue is dense but quiet/totally normal.

Do you think this tiny bump I feel is worrisome or common during breast feeding? I will also consult Dr. XXXXXXX and review my US from XXXXXXX As breast softens, lump does not feel as pebble like, but still there. It feels like its really close to the surface.
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May not be cancerous, but may require evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Such nodules/lumps can be felt in the breast during lactation. Possible causes include inspissation of milk.

During lactation, it is difficult to evaluate the breast. The findings could be misleading in both ways. But since you are evaluated recently, there should be no cause for anxiety. However, no abnormality in the breast can be ignored. Please check with your doctor on evaluation like ultrasound etc. By his earlier evaluation, he would be in a position to take a call regarding investigation. If he is confident, even investigation may not be requried.

Even if nothing is found, please subject yourself for regular follow up later.

Follow-up: Breastfeeding 3 weeks old. Felt pebble like lump on breast. Had clear mammogram and told dense breast tissue. Suggest? 12 minutes later
It definitely feels softer or flatter when breast is soft. Harder when full. Is this a good sign?
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing much to worry

Detailed Answer:
I understand your apprehensions. Since it feels softer after feeds, it is likely to be milk inspissation. The increase in risk or decrease in risk is only a mental satisfaction. Low risk will not mean you will NEVER have cancer or high risk does not mean that you will ALWAYS have cancer. What is more important is whether there is cancer or not at this stage.

From your description, it looks remote. Please check with your doctor for needful.