Breast scan showing well defined hypoechoic lesion and focal fibroadenosis. What does it mean?

Hi, My wife got a breast scan done &the result shows a well defined hypoechoic lesion measuring 1.0x1.1 cm at 9-10 O'clock position the the right breast. We will be seeing a doctor in a couple of days. Before that I want to check what this could mean? The report also mentions Fibroadenoma/ focal fibroadenosis. Please let me know what this means. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX The report says that the lesion is small, well-defined hypoechoic. It means that it is most probably benign (not cancer), and a solid swelling. It is probable that it is a young fibroadenoma. Fibroadenomas are usually asymptomatic and are found incidentally on mammography or breast scan. These are benign (non-cancerous) in nature. Fine needle aspiration may be performed to confirm the diagnosis. It can be left alone if it is small and asymptomatic. It can be removed surgically if it is causing symptoms like pain, etc. Let me know if you have any other doubt Dr Vaishalee