Breast reduction, breast infection, seeping scar. Normal?

I had a breast reduction and lift 2 months ago, after surgery for 3 weeks I fought a horrible infection on the left breast with cause it to open, my left breast under it, the scar is like folded and now after the infection I thought was gone, this scar is seeping again, is this normal to start this up after weeks of nothing?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 42 minutes later

Breast reduction and lift are usually achieved through the same procedure called

Breast reduction is done for medical purposes and breast lift which is called Mastopexy is done for cosmetic purpose.

When performed for medical purposes,the mammoplasty often achieves breast reduction and lift simultaneously as in your case.

The burden of large breasts can cause agonizing back and neck pain,skeletal deformities,trouble breathing and shoulder problems.

Since breast reduction surgery decreases the size and weight of a patients breasts, breast reduction and lift have a causal relationship.

Anchor shaped Incision is taken beneath areola horizontally along the breast fold
and excess tissues from breast are removed and areola repositioned.

Most common side effect is scarring as in your case, though there are few techniques that can be utilized to reduce the appearance of scar.

Sometimes a patient loses the ability to breast feed due to this procedure.

Before undergoing this surgery, It is important that a patient fully understand the
risks and benefits associated with It.

Patients should have a realistic understanding of what to expect before, during and after the surgery.

The results of this surgery mitigate the pain a patient previously suffered and yields life improving results.

Since you are worried about your scar you should have discussed about it with your surgeon the side effects before undergoing it.

You will have revisit your doctor and ask for scar reduction techniques or creams available for it.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your followup queries if any.

Regards,your query.

Follow-up: Breast reduction, breast infection, seeping scar. Normal? 4 hours later
The scar isnt the problem, well it is but I can handle that later, Is it common that my scar after weeks of being closed starts seeping again? I had a bad infection in the left breast shorty after my surgery, that went away and now on the same breast the incision is seeping XXXXXXX fluid and Im wondering is this common after 2 months since my surgery?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

Seeping of the scar is not a common thing. It is only present when there is presence of infection.
XXXXXXX seeping fluid indicates probably Pseudomonas infection.

Without delay visit back your doctor before the infection spreads to surrounding tissues and before it becomes systemic.

It might need regular dressings along with antibiotic coverage and later followed by secondary suturing after the infection is controlled.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you speedy recovery.