Breast pain, swollen lymph nodes. What could be causing it?

Hi, I've been getting sharp stabbing pains in my left breast that start just behind the left nibble and continutes thru the breast. It can sometimes be just a once off stabbing pain or continue for a few minutes and be quite painful. I also get swollen lymph nodes in the area quite a lot but not sure if it's contributing to it. I get them on this side of the breast and in the underarm area and they can be very painful aswell. I thought that it may depend on what time of my cycle I'm on also but it happens at different times. I've been getting it for just over 6 months now and not sure what could be causing it.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 days later
Sore nipples with swollen lymph nodes in axilla may be due to injury to the breast tissue like by pinching or accident that may cause soreness of breast or infection of the breast called mastitis. Sometimes abrasion and rough clothes that you are wearing may cause such a soreness.
You can try to eliminate the soreness by wearing light cotton clothes that will not rub against your nipples. Apply a lubricant like baby oil or any moisturizer over the nipples.
In case there is a throbbing pain and heaviness with fever or tender lymph nodes then you can visit local gynecologist and undergo checkup. If needed, go for mammogram which will help in diagnosing the cause.
Depending on the result you can take the treatment.
Oral antibiotics and mild pain killers are usually sufficient to take care of the mild symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.