Breast pain, menopausal, night sweats, no discharge or dimples, taking medicatin for bacterial infection. Any suggestions?

Infertility Specialist
I am 53 years old and suffering from uncomfortable breast pain. I am in menopause and my last period was 15 months ago. I still have night sweats but the breast pain is new. I went to see my GP on Thursday and he put me on medication for a bacterial infection. I have been on it 2 days and the pain still persists. The pain is located mostly on my left nipple and I have several large XXXXXXX glands on both sides of my nipple that are very sore to the touch. It seems to be better when I am sitting or in bed. It worsens when I move around. There is no discharge or dimples in the skin or nipple area. I am afraid it is something more serious (internet research can really scare you) but my doctor wants me to finish the medicine and come back in 10 days if not better. Any suggestions of what I might have? Help! I am really afraid.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Dear ,

Thank you for asking query.

Breast pain is known to occur around menopause due to hormonal imbalance. There will be estrogen deficiency due to which the symptoms you are experiencing.

The susceptibility to infection also increases. Hence your doctor might have observed some form of infection and hence put you on antibiotics. Hence please continue full course of the tablets.
Dont get yourself worried due to internet knowledge you obtained. You might have read about breast cancer and got worried i presume. Your doctor would have observed for that. If you are too anxious about breast cancer, please following advice:

1) Perform self breast examination. Straighten your right hand and palpate your left breasts with palm and check for any mass you feel. Same way touch you right breast with palm of your left hand and check for the mass. If you dont feel any mass, please donot worry about breast cancer.

2) If you are still concerned, please get a mammogram done which is done as a screening procedure for breast cancer. It is x XXXXXXX of breast.

3) When you see your physician next time, tell him your worry and request him to palpate the lymph nodes in axilla and supraclavicular area.

All 3 modalities above combined together will rule your fear about breast cancer or fibroadenoma or related issue which you have obtained form inernet.

Meanwhile please continue the tablets given by physician and go back after 10 days and get the above things done.

You can ask me if there are any followup questions. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol