Breast milk does not seem to fulfill appetite, want to start cereals. Recommendations?

Feb 2013

Hello Doctor,

This is XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX Labs. I have a four month old kid(Born on 15-01-2013). Recently we have observed that breast feeding is not fulfilling his appetite. So we want to start off with cereal/vegetables/fruits. Could you suggest what is the recommended cereal (with brand name AND wheat/rice) and fruits that we can start off with as different doctors give different suggestions. We are feeding him on Cow's milk(from milk store NOT the milk packets) as well for the last 2 days.

Waiting for your suggestions. Thanks a lot for your inputs in advance.

Warm Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

What I advise you to continue exclusive breast feeding till the age of 6 months.

From 6 months onwards you can start complimentary feeding in addition to breast feeding.

If the child is gaining weight, passing adequate urine output in a day it means the breast milk is sufficient and nothing else is required.

I advise you to stop cow's milk as it is associated with colic, indigestion, diarrhea, and allergy when given to infants.

At present, wait for 1 month to start cereal.

After completion of 5 months, you can start cereals home made or commercially available.

You should start with a mono cereal like rice as it is hypoallergic, gluten free, and easily digestible.

If you are opting for commercially available cereal preparations you can go for stage 1 with rice (cerelac or farex stage 1 rice).

The basic suggestions in starting weaning food are:

1. Hygienic precautions while preparing and feeding the food.

2. Start with one type of food with little quantity and increase it gradually if the
child tolerates it well.

3. Don't introduce two new food varieties at a time.

4. If you want to introduce new food, do it later in similar fashion with small
quantity and increase it gradually.

5. If the child develops any problem like loose stools, vomitings, rash after
introducing any new food, stop it.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Breast milk does not seem to fulfill appetite, want to start cereals. Recommendations? 9 minutes later
Hello Sir,

Thanks a lot for your prompt and detailed reply. You advised to stop cow's milk. Could you let me know if I can rely on milk packets. If yes, can you suggest some brand since we can't rely on quality of packet milk these days.

You have recommended to start with homemade cereal after a month. Can you suggest some fruits/vegetables that I can start with.

Thanks & Best Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 minutes later

Thank you for getting back and your kind appreciation.

I advise you to stop giving animal milk including packet milk. Instead you can go for formula milk if the breast feeds are inadequate and the child is not gaining adequate weight with exclusive breastfeeds.

But you should strict hygienic precautions while preparing, handling, and feeding the milk. Feed him with a spoon and avoid bottle feeding. Reconstitute the formula milk as per the instructions.

From 6 months, you can start giving mashed fruits like banana, peeled XXXXXXX and locally available cooked and mashed vegetables.