Breast lump, multivitamin, coenzyme Q10 and MSM, calcium supplement. Effect of caffein?

Caffein and nutrition supplement effect breast lump ?
Hi, I am 20 years old and I have breast lumps on the left breast.
I've been taken XXXXXXX tea and coffee in more than 1 week and I take multivitamin, coenzyme Q10 and MSM, calcium supplement everyday.
And today when I touch my breast I feel that the lump is clearly more firm and bigger than before, much easier to feel it. Last month I can touch that I have 2 lumps, today I feel they merge each other already.
Is it the caffein I taken or one of the supplement effect the lump that growning faster ?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I understand your concern. Its good that you are so aware because awareness is the first step towards preventing anything serious.

The most common cause of lumps in breast at this age are fibroadenoma and fibroadenosis (which are benign, that is, non-cancerous lesions). They are not known to transform to cancer later. I think this is the cause of the lumps in your case also.

However, the supplements that you have mentioned are also not known to cause an increase in the size of breast lumps or cause transformation to cancer. Some of them like XXXXXXX tea and coenzyme Q are anti-oxidants and good for general health.

Caffeine is also not related to breast lump growth in any way.

I think that you should have the lumps examined by a physician (if not already done so) and be under regular follow-up. If the lumps are actually increasing, then a few tests may be needed for diagnosis/follow up (like an ultrasound of breasts). Some degree of variation of the lumps over a menstrual cycle is usual and not worrisome.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. I would be available for follow ups.