Breast lump, increased blood supply. Malignant?

Breast Lump
I'm 33 years old and found a lump. The ultrasound results were a small lump that has increased blood supply. I'm not sure if i should be worried? I was wondering if and what non malignant reasons a breast lump would have increased blood supply to it?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Breast lumps can be benign (fibroadenoma, papilloma) or malignant (cancer). In a 33 year old woman without any significant family history, it is more likely to be benign, though cancer remains a possibility. The final proof of cancer can be obtained only by needle aspiration or biopsy.

Breast USG can show some markers for cancer, like increased vessels, irregular borders, etc, but they are not absolute. Of all the lumps showing increased vessels, around 20% finally turn out to be malignant.

Keeping this in mind, I think you should get a needle aspiration at least to rule out cancer. If it is benign then you just need follow-up.

A small lump, even if cancerous is easy to treat with good results.

Hope I have answered you query. Don't hesitate to write again if you have further follow-up queries.