Breast lump, black nipple discharge, swollen lymph nodes

I'm a 38 year old female that has never has children. Last night I discovered a black fluid (not green) discharge from my right breast's nipple upon manipulation whilst having a shower examination. The discharge only appears to be coming from one very small opening in my nipple. The lymph nodes under my right arm are also swollen and tender to touch. There also appears to be a lump the size of a pea directly underneath my nipple. I have just discovered this today as it is tricky to feel for in this location (I have to push my nipple to one side & press my finger underneath). Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

The black discharge from just above the nipple may be blood or sebum or ductal gland fluid.

A lump under the nipple I could think of few things;

1) Sebaceous cyst
2) Mammary Duct enlargement
3) It may be MASTITIS (infection of breast) if there is fever accompanying the lymph node enlargement.

You need a good examination by primary / gynecologist given your age. You need to go for Mammography of both breasts. Further tests can be advised by doctor after examining.

Do not be anxious let the doctor do the preliminary exam.

All the best.
Follow-up: Breast lump, black nipple discharge, swollen lymph nodes 17 hours later
Thank you Dr Pandya you for your advice - it is much appreciated!

I will be sure to follow up with my GP as soon as possible.

Just last night, I also also discovered that yellow fluid discharging through my nipple as well (another exit area to the black discharge). It appears to be coming from the pea size lump under my nipple when pressed. Is this normal for a sebaceous cyst?

I'm hoping that a mammography will reveal some clues to these abnormalities.

Most sincere & kind regards,
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The yellow discharge which you noticed today could because of any of the three things which I had mentioned earlier.

All you have to do is to get an good examination by your primary doctor / gynecologist. Further testing can be advised by your doctor after examining.

Once again don't be anxious just get a preliminary exam done.

Wish you Good Health and take care.