Breast is inverted, have big lump under nipple and milky fluid comes from nipple. What are the complications?

Infertility Specialist
Hi I'm a 28 year old female my left breast is inverted and I have a big lump under my nipple and I'm losing clear sometimes milky like fluid from both nipples and àround areolas I have wat look like milk spots what could this be from?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

From what you describe the lump appears to be a galactocele. Galactocele is a collection of milk and turning into a cyst.

But this condition is most commonly seen in lactating women. It is unlikely in you as you had a baby in 2004. So there are only 2 possibilities left:

1) Old galactocele which was symptomless till now and now it is showing symptoms.

2) Present hormonal imbalance ( raised serum prolactin hormone secretion) leading to the problem.

3) Therefore I suggest you get serum prolactin hormone tested before seeing a doctor. This test has to be done fasting. Hence go to the lab in morning in fasting for this test.

Please let me know the serum prolactin values. I would recommend you see a surgeon who will examine you and check if it is necessary to take a FNAC ( Fine needle aspiration Cytology) or biopsy as there a small possibility of cancerous lesion ( dont worry its a small possibility).

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.