Breast infected with three types of bacteria. Losing excessive blood. Could you give some ideas?

General Surgeon
My sister has 3 bacters and they eat her breast right. One is citrobacter koseri, another is m.abssess and another one that i dont remember the name. Her doctor dont know what to do and my sister has An artery very bad. She is losting too much blood.
Could You give me some ideas?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I need some more information to be able to help you. Is there any wound on your sister breast? Any pus discharges? What is the cause of your sister inflammation? Is there any breast tumor or you don`t know the reason?
What do you mean that her artery is very bad?

The main rule, when we are dealing with treatment resistant infection is to take a sample from infected place and find what bacterias are causing it. During this process it is also checked which antibiotics is this bacteria sensitive and with is resistant. If there is any ultrasound or MRI done of this breast?
It should also be done, and if there are any abscesses, it should be drained.

Hope this will help. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Follow-up: Breast infected with three types of bacteria. Losing excessive blood. Could you give some ideas? 48 minutes later
Hi, she as a very big wound. She almost dont have breast because the bactery eated. When i refer to the artery is because my sister had experimented a lot of antibiotics and she is very week. I think that at this time the bactery is very near to the artery. I read a similiar case on the net with a 26 years old girl. Her father is making a lot of posts. The link is : WWW.WWWW.WW br/ciencia/noticias/0,,OI0000-EI238,00-Jovem+infectada+por+bacteria+que+come+carne+pode+perder+maos+e+pes.html.
the bacteries are: Citrobacter-Koseri, Pseudomonas Aeroginosas, - M. Chelonae-M.Absesus
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Ok, but the very important question is how did she get this wound from? I know that you suggest tissue destruction due to bacterial infection, but it is impossible for bacteria to make such wound without any reason. There must be a reason. Most likely, such large wound can is caused by tumor that is destroying tissues. So my question is, were there any tissues samples taken for histopathology? It is extremely important to rule breast cancer out. Especially that you have mention about some artery. As the cancer grows without any control, destroying local tissues , it needs a lot of blood to live, so it creates large blood vessels. So this one tells that this might be a cancer as well and such suspicion is very probable.
Another thing that can cause such wound resistant for treatment is immune deficiency. So my question is, where she tested for AIDS, diabetes, immunoglobin deficiency, complement deficiency, if not this should be the next step.
So, in conclusion, there must be a reason for such wound and its not just bacteria.
Here is what should be done:
1. Samples for histopathology
2. Samples for antibiogram
3. Fool blood work with HIV test, blood sugar test, immunoglobulin test, complement tests
4. Breast MRI with chest MRI

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Breast infected with three types of bacteria. Losing excessive blood. Could you give some ideas? 4 hours later
Hi doctor,
I know that she has her hemoglobine very low and the immunity also very low. Tonight she told me that was lost blood again. She is at the hospital permenently and she is being supervised continously. Her doctor told us that is not a cancer because she made all tests. She told us also that her blood is ok except her hemoglobin levels.
The doctor dont know what else to do and me and my family wants to help perhaps asking for others doctors help or other similar cases because the doctor probably at this point dont have aknowlege enough to proceed with this case.
I,m asking your help because you can have more ideas of threatments. My sister has a cirurgy scedulled for 14/09 to take off her breast but the doctor dont give any guarenty that it will be solved. If the local of the wound is not completelly clean we have a lot of chances to get a bigger wound.
Thanks for your support and im sorry for my english. Im from portugal!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Nowadays skin infections can be treatable as we have a lot of antibiotics. The hardest thing in wound treating is to eliminate the cause of it as like I said before, infection is the effect of some disease. I would persist that this can be cancer. Even if the samples were negative, it should be repeated.
If it is about bleeding, as long as she stays at the hospital bleeding is a mild danger as transfusions can be done.
Surgery is a very good idea, but it is easier to perform it when you know what are you removing. So again, MRI (or CT - computer tomography) should be done.

I hope she will be fine after a surgery. I would treat it as a chance for recovery.

Follow-up: Breast infected with three types of bacteria. Losing excessive blood. Could you give some ideas? 3 hours later
Ok. Tomorrow we will know something more about it and i will tell in order to know your opinion. Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later

You are welcome. All the best to you and your sister.