Ask a Dentist   »  

Breast feeding. Suffering from tooth ache. Taking pain killer and antibiotic. Any effective medicine?

Hi doctor, my name is XXXXXXX I am suffering from tooth ache in right side due to wisdom tooth. I have this problem from last 7 years on both the sides. There is no passage for wisdom tooth to pop out that is the reason it pains. Earlier pain used to occur twice or thrice in a year but from last month it has become more frequent. Please help. Earlier I used to take pain killer and antibiotic. But I have 5 months old baby who is completely on my feeding. Please suggest some medicine and also if I can go for surgery now since I have a small baby.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

As per your description,the pain is due to pericoronitis,ie,flap overlying impacted wisdom tooth.

Depending on the position and angulation of impacted tooth and the space available for tooth eruption,we can decide the treatment.

Please do visit an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and get clinical examination and x-ray of the tooth.If normal tooth eruption is possible,flap overlying tooth has to be incised and removed by the surgeon.This enhances tooth eruption.

The impacted tooth has to be extracted out,if normal eruption is impossible.

Since your baby is already 5 months,you can visit a good oral surgeon and get the treatment done.Getting treatment is better than just taking pain killer and antibiotics repeatedly,as it can worsen the condition of impacted tooth.SINCE you are breast-feeding,some antibiotics taken by you causes diarrhoea in your baby.

If you got your teeth extracted,you should take rest for a minimum of 7 days .

Always maintain good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask further quiery if any.