Breast feeding. Safe to take Raciper 20?

My wife is breast feeding my 3 days old son. Is it ok to give my wife Raciper 20 ( manufactured by RanbaxY) as an antacid?
Will her taking this medicine be bad for him?

Thanks & Regards
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be used under moderation...

Detailed Answer:

First I congratulate you on arrival of new family member.

I understand your concern. Raciper is proton pump inhibitor. There are no controlled studies showing effect of this medicine on breastfeeding.

I would not recommend her to take raciper while breastfeeding unless this medicine is really needed and is advised by physician.

Give her plenty of fluids. Give cold milk sip by sip and soft bland diet. This usually takes care of abdominal pain.

If things don't improve raciper can be used after consulting her treating doctor.

Hope I have answered your query,in case you have any further question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health

God bless..

Follow-up: Breast feeding. Safe to take Raciper 20? 2 hours later
Actually this medicine was prescribed by the consulting Gyne doctors who carried out the C section.
I was concerend a bit as i found some information on Raciper 20 in the below website. WWW.WWWW.WW
As per this,Raceper 20 has significant impact on infant.

If antacid is needed at all, can we think of altenatives which do not have any negative impact on infant.

Also want to know.. to expedite the process of removal of the umbilical chord, is it advisable to use surgical spirit around that area.

Thanks & Regards
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up.

Aluminium and magnisium hydroxide antacids are not concentrated in breastmilk and are safe during lactation.

Ranitidine and famotidine can also be given as they reach in lower concentration in breast milk.

Regarding cord,do not apply anything over it let it dry and it will fall of its own in few days.

Hope it helps,let me know if there is any further query.

Take care...