Breast feeding. Get laser nail fungus treatment. Will this affect baby and mother?

I have a 3 week old baby, and am currently breast feeding her. I want to get a laser nail fungus treatment on my 2 feet; for 4 nails.
Would this affect the breast milk and harm my baby?
Also, they use a spectazole cream after each treatment, can this affect breast milk and harm baby?

I want to make sure this is safe for my daughter. I currently breast feed and use formula since I dont produce enough milk for her, so I also supplement. Should I supplement during the treatments or is breastfeeding still safe? Thanks in advance
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to want to ensure that the procedure is safe for the baby.

When this procedure is being done , a medical person will direct a focused light to the area that is affected. It would target the toe nail and the area below the nail called the matrix.

Breast feeding is not a known contraindication for this procedure. This means that there are no known problems associated with this treatment and breast feeding.

In terms of the spectazole- this contains econazole antifungal.
Econazole's safety has been studied and less than 1% of this medication is absorbed after application so it is considered safe to use while breast feeding.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Breast feeding. Get laser nail fungus treatment. Will this affect baby and mother? 5 hours later
Thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later

You are welcome, feel free to contact with any additional queries