Breast cancer treatment. Second opinion?

Oncologist, Radiation
2nd opinion requested for right breast cancer treatment for my mother
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. J. Krueger 5 hours later

Thank you for the query. I have seen the attached report.

It is good that the breast cancer is detected early. The use of Femara (Letrozole) for 5 years and radiation for 5-6 weeks is appropriately recommended. Letrozole is approved treatment for the adjuvant (following surgery) treatment of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive early stage breast cancer. Adjuvant therapy is introduced to reduce the mortality rates by stopping the micrometastasis of the undetected cancer cells.

You can discuss with the Medical Oncologist if there is a need for Her2neu by FISH (Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization) method. This method helps to determine if Her2neu is definitively Positive or Negative. If it is positive, the Medical Oncologist will add Herceptin (Trastuzumab) to the current regimen.

It would be good to know the histopathological details reported by the pathologist after seeing the specimen obtained after the surgery (as mentioned in the discharge summary).

From the information you provided, the prognosis for a longer life is good.

Hope I have answered your question.

Dr. Krueger, MD