Breast cancer survivor. Not had period. Ultrasound was normal. Why am I light bleeding now? Have cancer again?

I am an 8 year breast cancer survivor. I have not had a period in more than 15 years. I started light bleeding last week. I had vaginal ultrasound and it was normal. I started light bleeding again. Why and what should I do next. I am scheduled to see oncologist next Tuesday. I see him yearly. I am concerned I have cancer again.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
I can understand your concern for these symptoms. A light bleeding from the vagina with a normal ultrasound scan can be due to vaginal infection, cervical bruising or dysplasia, etc. It is not likely to be related to the breast cancer you have survived.
You must consult your gynecologist to determine what is producing this symptom.
The doctor will need to perform several tests including :
1- Pap smear
2- Vaginal Culture
3-STD serology tests
4- Hormonal Tests
With these tests, your doctor will be able to determine what is producing the symptom to give you the appropriate treatment .

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.