Breast cancer survivor. Had chemo and radiation. Found swollen ducts and multiple breast papilomas. On arimidex. What can be done?

Oncologist
Question
I am a breast cancer survivor - grade 2b, right breast, had surgery, chemo, and radiation., 2 years ago. Now in the left breast they have found swollen ducts, and multiple breast papillomas. (sp?) I would like to know what chance there is the this is the sign of cancer to come, and what the operation is like to remove the growths. I am 65 years old, otherwise healthy...and on arimidex for the five year medicine from the first bout of trouble.
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 56 minutes later
Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for your query. You are a post menopausal woman already on Armidex, the chances of developing new breast cancer are remote. Since the coincidental factors which caused you the first cancer in the right breast might not have changed so it is better to remain under observation with your primary doctor and act according to his advice. Seeing the size of the growths he will be able to judge whether they need to be removed or be kept under observation.
To have more knowledge about further development of breast cancer it is essential to know the HER status. If this status is 0-2 which you can find in your investigations you need not worry at all.
Best of luck.
Truly,
Dr. J. Ticku

Follow-up: Breast cancer survivor. Had chemo and radiation. Found swollen ducts and multiple breast papilomas. On arimidex. What can be done? 12 hours later
Thank you for your quick response! The HER status was negative on the first cancer...What is the operation like for the removal of the papillomas?

Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 10 hours later
Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for reverting. Again a good news that HER is negative.So no chance likely for reocccurance of the disease.

Regarding the papillomas there are many methods too get rid of them depending upon their status. I think cosmetic dermatologist should be helpful. Your doctor can guide you better about it as he is aware of their status.They can be removed surgically or by caustic application, or by continuous steroid application application, as your doctor advises.
Truly,
Dr. J. Ticku