Breast cancer, surgery, chemotherapy, upper hand swelling, infections, fever, treatment ?

Dear Sir,

My mother is aged 64 years and almost 18-20 years back she was diagonised as having breast cancer and she had surgery and chemotherapy. Since then her left upper hand was swollen. Now last summer and this summer she had some infections and developed fever. I want know how we can prevent these, what are the remedies for this. Is there any good doctor/ hospital in coimbatore, Tamil nadu, south India, where we can treat this condition. Even now she has fever and infections. I request some urgent help on this matter.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

The left arm swelling can be a complication of radiotherapy , where the lymphatic channels ( which carry the lymph )get destroyed or blocked leading to stasis of the lymph and subsequent swelling of the arm.

If you can present in information about the infections she has in detail I will be able to answer better,like what infections she used to get and what was the treatment advised.Also details about the medication she is on will help.

Will wait for the information.